Modern Foreign Languages
Key Stage 3
At Melbourn Village College we are committed to giving our students the best possible advantage in an increasingly global society.
From 2016, Spanish and Mandarin will be studied by our Year 7 students with each language being given the same amount of curriculum time. We are very excited to be able to offer Mandarin and are the only school in Cambridgeshire to offer it as part of the curriculum.
We are also planning to share the Mandarin experience with our primary partners. In the summer of 2016, we held our first Year 5 Mandarin Day and we look forward to welcoming many more primary students at a number of forthcoming Mandarin Experience Days.
Our current Year 8 are studying French as their first language and have picked up Spanish as a 2nd foreign language this year. Similarly in Year 9, students are continuing with both French and Spanish.
The Languages department is fully staffed with five MFL teachers:
- Mrs R Lawrence (Deputy Principal/Acting Head of MFL)
- Mrs I Stanley (Teacher of MFL)
- Miss J Correa- Alvarez (Teacher of Spanish)
- Mr F Fan (Teacher of Mandarin)
- Mrs V Sanders (Primary teacher/Teacher of MFL)
For more information on the courses we follow, what is covered and how we assess in languages, please click on the links below:
In Key Stage 3 one homework per week is set. For our new course, Viva 1, students can complete homework tasks on ActiveLearn. All students receive log-in details for the site and are set assignments by their class teacher. Additional reading, writing tasks or vocabulary tasks will be set to reinforce the learning.
Key Stage 3 Assessment
Each half term there will be an assessment in two of the four skills (listening, reading, writing speaking) which is awarded a level. This will be followed by + of - to indicate whether the piece is towards the top or bottom of the level. All four skills will have been assessed by the end of each term.
Key Stage 4
Learn a language and go places! In Year 10 students at Melbourn Village College have the opportunity to study French and/or Spanish for GCSE with German an additional option for those currently in Year 11.
If you enjoy communicating with other people, finding out how language works and learning about different countries and cultures, studying a GCSE in a Modern Foreign Language is an excellent choice for you!
- Be able to share your interests, ideas and opinions with other people who speak the language
- Learn about countries where the language is spoken
- Add an international dimension to your choice of GCSE subjects, which is something many employers and higher education providers look for
- Learn many skills which are useful in a wide range of careers, such as the ability to communicate clearly, being confident about speaking in public and using problem solving strategy.
- Create greater opportunities to work abroad, or for companies in the UK with international links. Many employers look for people with language skills.
More information about what’s on offer can be found by clicking on the link below:
Everybody is somebody