SLT Update June 29th 2018
29th June 2018
- It was lovely to welcome our new Year 7 students on Monday evening and on Tuesday for Induction Day. Mrs Coghlan and their subject teachers reported that they were engaged and enthusiastic. We look forward to seeing you in September. Well done to our wonderful year 9 language leaders, who completed their programme by teaching a lesson on sports to the year 6s using mini white boards, a flying strawberry and more. Maybe a career in teaching in a few years….
- Our Summer Concert is at 7pm, Wednesday 11th July. Tickets are available directly from the College Reception, at a cost of £5 per ticket and £3 for concession (under 18). You may also purchase tickets on the door prior to the concert.
- Congratulations to Karl Miller in year 10, who played in and won, the under 15 cricket county cup final last weekend with his club, Thriplow CC. They were set a target of 146 runs to win from 20 overs against Histon CC, which they did with 3.5 overs to spare. Karl opened the bowling and took 2 wickets. He then opened the batting and scored 51 not out (competition rules are that batsmen retire when they reach 50, which he did). A great achievement. Well done.
- Well done to Lola Brown, who has just been involved in a film written by Richard Curtis and directed by Danny Boyle. We hope to hear more about it soon.
- On Tuesday, 16 sports leaders went over to Harston Primary School to help with their annual sports day. It was exceedingly hot, but they persevered and helped set up, run and pack up the whole event.
- Yesterday, we said farewell to our Chinese students, who have been learning alongside our students for 10 weeks. We wish them well and hope they’ve enjoyed the experience of living and studying here.
- Also yesterday, the year 7 netball team and SEND team represented the South Cambs Partnership at the L3 Summer Games at St. Ives. Students from over the whole area of Cambs, Peterborough, Huntingdon and Witchford enjoyed the Opening Ceremony before going on to compete in their different sporting areas. After another hot day on the netball court, the year 7 team came away with 4th position out of 10, having won 3 and lost 3 games. Tom Fenhiggins and Keeley Thomas took part in table cricket as part of the South Cambs team. They came 2nd in their event, but South Cambs won the tournament overall, and Tom won the 'Spirit of the Games' award voted by the sports leaders for his positive attitude and encouragement. Well done to all who took part!
- Melbourn Dynamos (next year 8, u13) are looking for at least two players to strengthen the squad. If you are interested in joining/finding out about us please call Nicky, MDFC U13 manager, on 07951590139.
- Are you worried about your son/ daughter? Do you need someone to listen? Please see below regarding the parent to parent support group, which takes place on the last Thursday of the month.
- We have vacancies for an Assistant Cook and a Catering Assistant from September. Further details are on our website – www.melbournvc.org
Have a good weekend.