SLT Update July 21
21st July 2017
Senior Leadership Weekly Round-Up – 21st July 2017
It has been a very busy week at the College. Do read all our news.
- This week has seen all students take part in Activities Week experiencing things they may not otherwise get a chance to do. There have been visits to local and national attractions as well as workshops happening in and around college. Everyone has had a wonderful time and there are lots of photos to be seen on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/MelbournVillageCollege/. Many thanks to all the staff who led trips and particularly to Mrs Reeves and Mrs Friday who organized everything behind the scenes.
- Year 10 have been carrying out their work experience over the past two weeks and all have received excellent reports from their employers. One student was given a certificate of distinction and her employers said she was ‘absolutely amazing’. I’m sure there were many other such accolades. Some of our year 10 students even did a week of their work experience in Spain, so not only did they develop their employability skills, for example, communication, problem solving, etc. they actually had to do this in Spanish! This experience has not only improved their Spanish but has enabled them to grow in confidence tremendously. The feedback from the employers has been fantastic, saying that they are the best students they have ever had.
- Last week we had a very enjoyable Sportsday. The weather was extremely kind, with the rain holding off until just after we finished. Congratulations to all who took part and to Darwin House who were this year’s winners.
- This week we also found out that we came 2nd out of 16 schools in the recent Science Challenge. Well done to Rosie Elliott, Ben Woodrow, Isabel Taylor, Logan Best, Stephanie Davidson and Matt Spence.
- Cambridge Gliding Centre are having a Youth Open Day on Sunday 30th July – see www.camgliding.uk for details.
- At this time of year we say farewell to some staff and students. To all of you we wish the very best for the future and thank you for all you have contributed to the college in your time here.
I would like to thank you all for your support during the year and wish all the students an enjoyable summer break. We look forward to seeing our ‘leavers’ at 10am on August 24th for results day and the rest of you in September.