SLT Weekly Roundup 10th February
10th February 2017
- Firstly, well done to all the students who have been participating in the excellent performance of the Wizard of Oz this week. I’m sure this evening will be just as good.
- The English department would like to thank Hugh Pollock for coming into the College and working with a small number of students during enrichment. Our students thoroughly enjoyed the reading and discussion of a range of texts and we look forward to working again with Hugh for the upcoming Bloomsday event.
- BBC School Report news day will be on Thursday 16th March this year. Our team of reporters are currently working on some stories and these will be uploaded onto the school website soon.
- This week, Year 8 have been completing an assessment in biology on the best table cleaner to kill bacteria. A few interesting results but the best seemed to be Virkon (a disinfectant).
- In their Art enrichment this week, our more able students have been learning about higher level acrylic painting skills in preparation for GCSE.
- Wednesday saw Melbourn Village College welcome Cambridgeshire based HackLab into the school for a special enrichment day of Computing. Year 9 students got to use the Raspberry Pi to create scrolling messages and pixel art using LEDS while the Year 8 were programming Minecraft using Python. Computing Teacher, Mr Richardson said 'We saw an opportunity to show our students how Computer Science is used practically in the real world. The event was a real success with students enjoying every session.' Year 7 students also had the chance to get involved with a special afterschool enrichment session featuring the SonicPi, software that enables students to make music with code. One enthusiastic student said 'It was the best lesson of my life!' This week's event is one part of an expanding enrichment programme in the Computing department at Melbourn. Students also have the opportunity to take part in Computing club, Robotics club, Minecraft club and finally the Cyber Centurion challenge. An exciting time to be at MVC!
- During our PSHE Day this week, our Year 8 students enjoyed developing their entrepreneurial skills by creating their own business plans. Some are even going to do the Tenner Challenge, in which they will receive £10 to start a business and have a month to make a profit.
- Mr Holmes visited St Peter’s School in Huntingdon this week as part of the Cam Academy Trust peer review programme. As well as providing some quality assurance for them it was really interesting to have an in depth look at another school and bring back ideas to improve what we are doing at MVC.
- Miss Rich is running Biology B1 revision sessions for Year 11 students during Half Term on Monday 13th February, 10am – 12.30pm for Higher tier students, and 1.00pm – 14.30pm for foundation students. Students should have signed up for these but if you would like to find out if there is still space please email email@example.com
- Miss King and Mrs Hallam will be offering English Language revision sessions for Year 11 on Tuesday 14th February between 10.30am and 1.30pm.
Have a relaxing half term break.